We want fat justice now and always! We want a world where all fat people are loved and valued and supported and free. We want a movement that centers and is led by the people who are the most hurt by our cultures’ violence and oppression, a movement that helps us all imagine and make a world without the oppression of any fat people, where our bodies and whole selves are honored and where we can build community and resistance. We want a movement and a world where we feel and relish our queer and trans fat joy, where no body is “too much” or “not enough,” where we move as fast as we move and rest as much as we need and no one is left behind, and where we hold each other up in hard times and in abundance!
Nolose wants to make space for and support the work that gets us there, the work that makes fat justice a reality we live, moment by moment, today!
The Nolose board has been busy working on how to set Nolose up to be successful and sustainable for the long haul, and we’re asking for your help with that. In-person conferences are incredibly important and energizing, and we want Nolose to continue to have those gatherings! But they are also resource-heavy and can make it hard to support smaller and more local grassroots efforts for fat justice in the places where fat people live the rest of the time. So we know that the next time we have an in-person conference we’re going to work to support a community led conference organizing committee—that’s how BIPOC Day happened at our 2015 conference, and we think that method of organizing is both successful and sustainable!
We’ve also recommitted to supporting the work of folks who are doing fat liberation work in underserved areas. Earlier this year, our Small Projects Across the Land (SPAL) grants supported 8 projects that ranged from healing gatherings for femmes of color, to performances, to community building gatherings in cities across the US! You can read more about the projects we funded last year here: http://nolose.org/news/noloses-regional-grantees-2016/ Also, our SPAL grant applications are open right now, until October 15. http://nolose.org/2017-spal-application/ Last year we piloted a community based grant review process, where several of you worked with some of Nolose’s board members to read applications and collectively make decisions about what to fund and how much money to give each project. We’re working toward more and more shared power and decisionmaking with you, and we’re still looking for people to volunteer to participate in the process, so let us know if you want to be involved with funding fat genius now! Write to email@example.com.
We want Nolose to get to a more financially robust place in order to support efforts to build vibrant queer fat culture year-round! And that means you’ll be hearing us ask for help with fundraising more often in the coming months and years, so we can support YOUR work in the coming months and years!
We have operated with about $60k every year for the past several years—raising about $30k, and spending about $30k, with each conference, and keeping $30k in the bank. It’s not a lot, as organizational budgets go! Nolose has low year-round administrative expenses, but we have them—you can see the budget breakdown here. Nolose is a grassroots organization because we want to be beholden and accountable to YOU and to our vision for fat justice that centers superfat, trans, and queer, Black and Indigenous people and people of color, disabled and poor people (and not to foundations or government bodies that think we shouldn’t exist or think of our bodies as problems rather than glorious, just as they are–we know better!). And in the whole history of Nolose, we have not successfully won grants from mainstream foundations—because we live in a culture that does not value marginalized queer and trans fatness. Which is why we do what we do and why we need your support!
So, you may be asking—what can *I* do to support Nolose?
- Donate! Whether you’ve got two dollars or two hundred, your gift helps Nolose! http://nolose.org/get-involved/donate/
- “Donate your birthday” through social media. Nolose’s co-President Shana did this for her birthday, and Sarah followed her lead; we’ve raised more than $800 that way, which we’ve earmarked for this round of SPAL grants. Bonus: in the process of asking for support, both Shana and Sarah had public and private conversations with friends and loved ones about what fat justice means to them!
- Become a monthly sustainer. Public radio style, but for radical antiracist superfat centered accessible fat justice work. An ongoing revenue stream means that we can plan for rolling project grants and can say YES when we get an exciting application for a regional conference, a postering session, a clothing swap, or something no one has ever thought of but is going to change the way the world thinks about fat queer and trans people! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to commit to donate, and we’ll follow up with reminder emails to send us donations once a month! Also: stay tuned for an announcement about Nolose supportership!
- Host a fundraiser! Pass the hat the next time you hang out with your friends, sell earrings to your work friends without ever talking about fat stuff, organize a fat community event with a donation jar, run a silent auction or a pancake breakfast! Someone recently did a presentation on fat issues in their religious community and asked that Nolose be a beneficiary of some of the collection that that community took that day! By pledging some of the proceeds to Nolose, you can make a huge difference for our operations. And Nolose can help with fronting costs, if that’s a barrier—read all about how to ask us for money to support your fundraising idea here (http://nolose.org/get-involved/hold-a-fundraiser/fundraising-seed-money/) (hint: it’s super easy as it basically involves saying “I want to help raise money for Nolose and here’s my idea, can I have some money to help me make that happen?”). Tell us about your idea at email@example.com!
- Sign up to support Nolose while you shop! We can have a robust critique of capitalism and also use whatever tools we can while we’re living with it to get more material support to marginalized fat people, right? You can designate your monthly toilet paper or fragrance free laundry detergent delivery to benefit Nolose through the Amazon Smile program (smile.amazon.com)—Sarah made ten whole dollars for Nolose that way!—and regional supermarkets (like Kroger or Fred Meyer, Midwesterners and Mid-Southerners and West Coasters!) let you designate a nonprofit to send a portion of your regular grocery shopping revenue to through their corporate giving programs. You may need our address (PO Box 580113, Elk Grove, CA 95758) or our federal tax ID number (email firstname.lastname@example.org for that info).
- Attend a Nolose fundraiser! The Big Fat Flea (https://www.facebook.com/BigFatFlea) is happening in New York on October 22, and this year the organizers have pledged to donate 100% of the proceeds to Nolose!!!!
- Take advantage of employer matching funds at your workplace. If you work in a corporate or educational setting where your employer will match your donation dollar for dollar, talk to your HR department about matching your one-time or ongoing donation to Nolose.
- Watch this space for opportunities to volunteer with someone else’s fundraiser, or to buy Nolose swag when the board is ready to sell fattastic stickers and t-shirts! (And if you want to help us finish that project you can get in touch at email@example.com!)
With all of our effort, we can make sure that Nolose is able to expand its programming to support more work that centers and values the most marginalized fat people, to help us all deeply know how precious and fabulous we are, and to end fat oppression! Thanks for your help!
Big fat love!
The Nolose board