Why are we so pissed off?
To give but a few examples:
• public spaces are often not physically accessible to fat people and rather than this being seen as a lack of inclusiveness, fat people are blamed for our inability to participate fully in society.
• there are few, if any, public, positive fat role models and fat people, especially fat women, are rarely seen as sexy and beautiful in the mainstream media.
• being fat is considered an insult.
• being fat is seen as something to avoid at all costs or one risks being seen as unfuckable, undatable and unlovable.
• fat children are put on diets against their will.
• parents of fat children are often seen as being abusive to their children by ‘allowing’ them to get fat.
• fat people are openly mocked and harassed for our size on the street, by our family, friends, lovers, and partners.
• there are few places to shop for fashionable clothes if you’re fat, especially if you wear a size larger than a 4X.
• despite the fact that the correlation between size and health has yet to be proven conclusively, fat people are charged more for health insurance.
• fat people routinely face discrimination from health care providers who refuse to address our health needs and concerns and instead focus only on our weight.
• fat people are stereotyped as repulsive and lazy individuals with enormous appetites who can’t stop eating.