Nolose awards grants of $100-$1,000 to support projects that expand the reach of fat queer and trans activism. In past years, SPAL projects have included day conferences in New York and Boston, a roller-skating party in Philadelphia, a fat clothing flea in Austin, and Flabulous!, an evening of drag, cabaret, and burlesque in San Francisco.
A team of community and board members reviews grant applications and makes recommendations to the board about which projects to support. Recommendations are based on the organization’s funding priorities. These are projects that:
- Support NOLOSE’s goals and mission
- Provide resources, access and/or voice to groups that have historically been marginalized within fat activist communities and to under-resourced regions with less visible fat activist communities.
- Explore and celebrate intersectionalities
- Are challenging, weird, boisterous, empowering, and/or FUN!
There are three ways to get involved:
- Apply for a grant! http://nolose.org/2019-spal-application/
- Volunteer to be a member of the SPAL Review Team (20-hour commitment over six weeks). Email spal at nolose dot org by May 31, 2019.
- Earmark a monetary donation for SPAL funding. You can donate here.